Thursday, January 19, 2012

Class #1 Before all of us say "I Do"

Notes from last night's class:
Topic was preparing for the challenges and rewards of blending families.  

-Some of the class was irrelevant as we are already married.  Some of the key topics that they touched on was that a marriage takes a 100-100 commitment on both sides.  Being married is not the easiest thing to do and being married twice is the biggest challenge.  Chances of divorce are higher in a second marriage.  

-Myths of blended marriage are that the new family will be just like the old family or that it's easier to blend families when the kids are older (actually research and experience has shown, the younger kids are the easier it is.)

-They talked about charting the course for a successful marriage-
     -many people believe that everything will turn out alright.  There is enough love to go around and being a family is easy.  (called the Pollyanna effect).  Problem is once people realize that it isn't easy and that it's going to take work, the ship (marriage) begins to sink until it hits rock bottom.  If you aren't prepared and have a course charted out, the marriage will suffer immensely and become yet another statistic.  It is very important to learn how to deal with conflict before the conflict happens.  

One of the key statements that really stuck with me because I have seen it was:  A blended family is worth every day of it, if you can live through it. 

I can see that.  If I didn't have a blended family, I would never know a very special curly haired young lady that has completely stolen and melted my heart.  Not to mention her very wonderful daddy, who not only has seen me at my best but he's seen me at my worst and while we struggle, there have been significant changes for good in me and there is nothing more I desire then to be able to grow old together with him.  


No comments:

Post a Comment